School starts on Tuesday, September 5th, 2017 and with that comes buses being back on the roads. HFCS students are among the 55 million children that head back to school across the country.
Here are some safety tips to observe as the children of our community return to school:
- Please pay extra attention during the morning and afternoon hours – watch out for children!
- The speed limit on NY-22 is 45 m.p.h. while school is in session, which is indicated by the flashing yellow lights attached to the school zone speed limit sign. Slow down in school zones!
- Please make sure you come to a full and complete stop when you encounter a stopped bus.
- Children can move quickly, crossing the road unexpectedly before or after school. Reduce your risk of distraction.
- Children on bicycles are often inexperienced and sometimes unsteady. Slow down when you see children on bicycles!
- Also, talk to your teen. Car crashes are the leading cause of death for teens in the U.S. and nearly one in four fatal crashes involving young drivers occur during the after-school hours of 3-7 pm. TeenDriving.AAA.com has more information for parents of teenage drivers.